Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tell your story

As I started cocooning in my bedroom hiding from the world, my wife gave me space.  Then the next morning she said, “I don’t want to hurt your feelings but is it okay for me to tell people that you are looking for work and if it is okay what are you looking for .”  What a powerful thought!  If you read the first entry, much of my career was spent in the recruiting world.  I know how to do this job search thing.  At that time, my wife had one employer in her professional career.  She may or may not have had a resume at the time.  Where does she get off asking me if she can tell people that I am looking for work?  It was brilliant.  Three powerful lessons learned on that day.

  1. You have to tell your story.  There are many ways to network: go to meetings, social network and tell people you are available.  The other part is you should know what you are looking for.
  2. Many times when a spouse losses their job the other spouse becomes negative and critical.  Be nice.  Believe me, the unemployed spouse would much rather be at work than be home being told they suck.  Please be nice.
  3. My coworkers would hate to hear me say this but as skillful and calculated the job search strategies are everything you hear and read may be dead on or the exact opposite may work better.

So, if you read something I write and you disagree please share your thoughts.  Your insight may help someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment