Friday, September 16, 2011

Now you have it; now you don't

Well, you never really had it.

I was reading a thread on LinkedIn earlier in one of the groups that I belong to.  A job seeker was asking for advise:
I recently interviewed with a company, and by all accounts thought I had the job. After the interview, the HR rep for the company encouraged me to send my references, which I immediately did.
Then she asked me to approve a background check request with their background check company. I did this too.

When she told me that a job offer was forthcoming, she said it would take 5-7 business days. I waited and waited for two weeks. I called her and left a voice mail. I emailed her. No response.
Finally, I emailed the manager who I had interviewed with, letting him know how enthusiastic I was to work for the company. The position was “on hold”.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to approach re-contacting them?
This person needs to continue to be "available" to them.  Keep yourself on their radar with an extra email, a follow call, something.  The follow up should not be “hey, did my job open, yet.”

 It should be more like, “Just touching base” or to the manager “I read a great blog in the Oakland Press that you might be interested in.”  You want to be valuable to them but not a pain.  This is a fine line so walk it carefully.

They will not get back to you because they are uncomfortable that they can't tell you anything.  Stay on their radar but don't expect anything from them.

The other reality is that you can never count on a job until your first day. 

If you are ever in need of job search assistance, click on the JVS logo above or call 248.559.5000

No comments:

Post a Comment